Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tabloid Fodder

As I was digging through my inbox, attempting to delete the scores of junk mail offering me free pizza (obviously sent from a trickster on Fear Street) and penis enhancement drugs, I came across a shining gem from reader Nick (thanks again, Nick!): a tabloid article from '95 featuring Our Fearful Master!


I love that his son never reads his books. "I'm insulted by that." Heh heh heh. Also, I find it creepy that he spies on his son and son's friends. "I spy on them. I listen to their music and I notice how they are dressing." Dude.

The photo brings about a few questions. Why are Stine's fingernails so long? Why is that skeleton wearing a cap that reads "#1 Fan"? How can you be a #1 Fan of an author if you have no eyes? Why isn't Stine looking at his #1 Fan? What IS he looking at? Did his wife just bake crullers and is now bringing them to him on his Goosebumps collectors plate? What is wrong with that skeleton's finger bones? Why is the skeleton massaging Stine's shoulder? Does the word 'boundaries' mean nothing anymore?!

HORRORS!

9 comments:

  1. I found it random he had a friend who needs to write at a haunted desk? What the? Does the desk actually just transcribe the stories then? So many questions! Have you read his adult book Fear Street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! For some reason I can't make the image bigger to read the article, but your comments were cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My #1 Fan is a Skeleton" could be a Goosebumps book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amiee, I have the adult book, but I haven't yet read it. I'm almost afraid to...

    Just Your Typical Book Blog, if you right click the picture and hit save, you can enlarge it on your computer. I couldn't figure out how to make it bigger on here. Sorry about that :(

    Anon, start writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sells TWICE as many scary books as Stephen King

    I LOLed at that. Has no one ever heard that quantity =/= quality?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read an article about R.L. Stine in "Rue Morgue," a horror movie magazine. I'll see I can find my copy with it, if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember how I found this site (it's been over a year...) but trust me, it was appropriate!

    Have you heard of R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour? It's his new project. I'm a little afraid to try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish there was a "like" button like this is on Facebook. I'd never read that article. Veeery interesting.

    ReplyDelete